Terlingua Post Offices

Terlingua has seen 5 post offices.

Actually,  6,  because the first mail was delivered to the village of Terlingua,  which was later called Terlingua Abaja,  (or Terlingua Abajo,  which means Below Terlingua).  This village can be visited today  as ruins the buildings have become ( in the Big Bend National Park,  on Old Maverick Road).

The 2nd Post office was at Mariposa Mine.

The 3rd – the Chisos Mine (at that time the village was called by the Mexican population of that village – ‘CHISOS’.   Much later it was called the Ghostown,  because that is what it became after the mining industry collapsed.

The 4th post office was at Fulcher Ranch on Terlingua Creek,   which was located on the road that was South County Rd.,  renamed in 2007 to Fulcher Rd.

The 5th was on 170 between Terlingua Creek and the Y of 170 & 118.

The 6th is where it is today,  on 118 close to the Y of 118 & 170.

 

Terlingua Post Office where the late Evelyn Fulcher is here standing in front of.   The Terlingua post office moved from the Chisos Mine Village around 1949 to this location on Fulcher Ranch,  on South County Road at Terlingua Creek,  (renamed Fulcher Road in 1995).    Evelyn Fulcher was postmaster before it moved to 170, from 1950 till 1962.   Mary Wright was postmaster when it moved to 170 in 1980s.
Terlingua Post Office where the late Evelyn Fulcher is here standing in front of. The Terlingua post office moved from the Chisos Mine Village around 1949 to this location on Fulcher Ranch, on South County Road at Terlingua Creek, (renamed Fulcher Road in 2007). Evelyn Fulcher was postmaster before it moved to 170, from 1950 till 1962. Mary Wright was postmaster when it moved to 170 in 1980s.
Terlingua Post office from 1980s0,  to 1993, located on Hwy 170, now a Mexican food Restaurant
Terlingua Post office from 1980s, to 1993, located on Hwy 170, now a Mexican food Restaurant

Terlingua